Monsters of Design
Good design is good design.
The Young Architects Forum of Kansas City invites all young designers to submit their work for the 2015 Monsters of Design Competition. Projects of all types and scales are welcome—architecture, interiors, products, furniture, lighting, graphics—you name it.
Monsters of Design is an annual design competition for young architects and designers in or around the Kansas City metro area. MoD exists to recognize the young designers whose work may not be recognized by other awards competitions. All types of design are considered equal in this competition. Ok, so maybe you didn’t design a whole building. Did you design a killer table for the conference room? Submit that. Did your client reject your brilliant idea? Submit it. Did you design a great album cover for your indie rock band? Submit it! Past winners have included a series of handbags, a trailer, and unfinished skin studies of a large building. When we say that good design is good design, regardless of scale, budget, or genre, we really mean it.
Only the first 100 entries will be considered. Don’t delay. Register TODAY!
- Entrants can be students or professionals under age 40 as of the end of 2015.
- Entrants must reside and work within 250 miles of Kansas City.
- Entrants may submit work done independently, as a student, employee, or educator.
- Group projects may be submitted, but only if every member of the group meets all of the eligibility requirements.
- Monsters of Design is meant to recognize designers, not companies. Companies may submit, but the entries must be submitted under the names of the designers. Entries that are submitted under the company name only will NOT be considered.Companies are permitted to cover the entry fees of individuals.
- All digital and physical submissions, including renderings, display boards and slideshows, must be the work of the designer(s) responsible for the project submitted. If a designer was responsible for only certain parts of a larger project, only the portions designed by the qualified entrant may be submitted.
Early Registration (now – February 15th):
Late Registration (February 15th – March 13th):
PRINTING OPTION: $50
- This year we have a printing option available to all entrants courtesy of Drexel Technologies. If you choose this option, you will also upload your presentation board file to the ShareFile site. The files will be printed by Drexel Technologies and the boards delivered to the AIA, saving you the hassle of printing and delivery!
Payments for entry fee and printing option may be made by credit card only. See the online registration form for payment details.
Detailed submission requirements will be provided upon receipt of your entry form. In brief, you will be required to submit
- A Power Point presentation with 12 or fewer slides, with a maximum total file size of 10MB.
- A 18″ × 48″ presentation board for display at the awards party.
The planning committee for the Young Architects Forum of Kansas City will select a panel of distinguished jurors to review the submissions. The jurors will give awards at their discretion. Winners will be notified at the awards party.
Dates and deadlines
February 15th: early registration + fees due by 5pm
March 6th: late registration + fees due by 5pm
March 20th: uploaded submissions due by 5pm (including printing option)
April 1st: presentation boards to AIA KC OFFICE due by noon
Saturday, April 4th, 2015: MoD AWARDS PARTY @ Foundation
Download the information packet here.
Registration has ended for this competition.