View Previous Winners:
2008 Central States Design Excellence Awards
Car Park One at Chesapeake
1. We will “store” 811 cars with 4 levels.
2. The exterior skin must be 20% open by code in order for air movement to cycle CO2 out.
3. The goal is to make the building unrecognizable as a parking garage. At first glance it will appear as an office building.
4. Devise a way so that the cars are not visible from the outside during daytime or nighttime.
5. The goal is to have the parking garage add value to the campus architecture. It will be more than a big static, stoic, stationary object.
6. Make the exterior respond to the constantly changing light and color of the Oklahoma sky.
7. This will help to reduce the massive scale . . .
8. The structure will “connect” to campus and not duplicate.
9. The forms directly respond to the adjacent Building 5 and Building 6 and the space between the buildings.
10. Use the center open atrium to bring light into the space, reinforce the orientation within and provide enhanced air circulation.
11. Think “Brick Shadow” and soft / sky reflections.
12. In the end the idea is to make the architectural mass “dissolve” into the sky.